Monday, December 24, 2007

Chicken macaroni salad

Another favorite Christmas dish of Filipinos is chicken macaroni salad. I have an attachment to it as I practically grew up eating it, just as other families must have their ham and quezo de bola. I have whipped up macaroni salad for many years, serving it at special occasions like my son's graduation party. But with our shift to a low-carb eating lifetyle, I have excluded this from my list of must-eats but I would like to share the recipe with you. The quantity is clearly for a crowd and you can adjust the recipe, depending on your guest list.

Chicken-macaroni salad

1 kg chicken breasts, boiled and flaked
1 kg elbow macaroni
3 big cans pineapple tidbits
2 apples, peeled and diced
½ kg carrots, boiled and diced
1 medium pkg. raisins (200 g)
1 small bot. pickle relish
1 bot. Lady’s Choice mayonnaise, 810 ml + ¼ can condensed milk
1 box cheddar cheese, grated
2 tsps. salt

Boil elbow macaroni following package directions and drain. When cooked macaroni has been drained and cool, mix with the rest of the ingredients in a large mixing or salad bowl, except for the grated cheese, which should be added last. Freeze for 1 hour and chill in refrigerator.

No comments: